I didn't release a one-page RPG last month, as I hit writer's block with the one I was working on (Dead of Winter) and needed to switch to something else to clear my head. Instead, I decided to pick up an old idea I proposed in 2023, inspired by The A-Team and R'lyehwatch (a Tricube Tales product by my friends at Hedgemaze Press), and I released it just a few days ago: The R'lyeh-Team!
This one renames perks and quirks to sorcery and sins, and also replaces karma with mana, very much like Eldritch Cultists. However, it also renames resolve to cool, mostly to tie in with the tongue-in-cheek rule about earning cool for walking away from explosions (a reference to Cool Guys Don't Look at Explosions by The Lonely Island).
It ended up taking me longer than I originally expected, although a large part of that was finding suitable artwork (I ended up photobashing a few stock art pieces together). I also struggled to find the right tone, as I wanted it to be humorous without being outright silly. But I'm pleased with the way it turned out!
I had initially thought about setting The R’lyeh-Team in the same shared world as Goblin Gangsters and Road Hogs, as I wanted to go for a similar humorous vibe, but in the end it didn't feel like a good fit to have magic out in the open, so I made it a standalone setting. That said, I do think it would be great fun to run a crossover with R'lyehwatch!

No comments:
Post a Comment