Sunday 5 August 2018

Saga of the Goblin Horde: Silver ENnie Award!


I entered the ENnies for the first time this year, submitting both Blood & Bile and Saga of the Goblin Horde. While I didn't expect to win anything, I figured the extra exposure (from being included in the submission list) might draw a little more attention to my work.

With 514 submissions from 251 different publishers, and only 5 nominations in each category, the competition was pretty fierce. So I was both surprised and honored when Saga of the Goblin Horde was nominated for "Best Free Game" by the judges!

Sadly I wasn't able to attend Gen Con in person, but I watched the live stream, and was very excited when Saga of the Goblin Horde won a Silver ENnie! The Gold ENnie Award went to Todd Crapper, for his excellent High Plains Samurai: Legends -- you can see the full list of winners here, and watch the recording of the award ceremony here (Best Free Game starts at 23:37).

As far as I can tell, this is the first time a Savage Worlds fan licensed product has won an ENnie, and I hope it will encourage more people to take fan products seriously. It was also the only Savage Worlds product to win a 2018 ENnie Award (although this is certainly no reflection on those other products, as they had to compete with some much bigger industry names).


I know there are veteran game designers who pick up loads of awards, but this was the first product I'd self-published on DriveThruRPG, and the ENnies really help draw attention to my work. Even though Saga of the Goblin Horde is free, I do sell related products (like the Configurable Map and the Countdown Deck), and have plans for many more in the future, including the Swift d12 version of Saga of the Goblin Horde.

Of course I couldn't have done it without the support of my fans, so I'd like to give a huge thank you to everyone who voted for me! I'll also be releasing the new adventures I ran at Savage Con as soon as I've finished writing them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment